I think I figured out the reason why the vertices were not getting loaded.
The atlas jars also need to be copied into REXHOME/ext/titan to make it
work.

ATLAS as you might be ware is using berkeley DB and ES as the default
storage and index backends . You need to configure that in the rextser.xml
conf pointed out in the above link and point to the directory where the
data for them resides.

Connecting through the gremlin shell also requires a .properties file with
all these properties set to load the graph stored by ATLAS.

Thanks
Suma