Stephen McConnell wrote:

I now have a complete build working well under Magic. There are a couple of things left to do on the binary distribution area (in particular updating sh scripts but help will be needed on this). In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and put magic info in place on components and facilities, clear out the maven project definitions, and basically cleanup things as much as possible.

Sounds good to me :o)
But remember not to kill the Maven builds for Tutorials. At least not just yet.

After that I'm planning on reviewing the AbstractMerlinTestCase solution (one option I'm thinking about is to setup a Merlin based test-suite).

Are we talking about components that need to be tested against/inside a running Merlin?

I have a bit mixed feelings about this.
Unittests and functional tests are different beasts, and I do recognize the need for both, but not in the shape of the same tool.

For functional testing we need tests that are almost completely integrated into the Merlin container, and I leave this out of the discussion for now.

For 'pure' unittests, we actually need something very straight-forward and fast.
The testcase instructs the 'delegate' (either superclass or (I prefer) delegation) which component class that is under test. The 'delegate' instantiates the component and calls the Lifecycle methods. The 'delegate' also implements the ServiceManager, Context and so on, and each call the component does to these is passed back to the testcase, so it can return a mock-object.
Additionally, I think the 'delegate' should read the meta and have the testcase class make sure it is correct, but otherwise not use it to any greater extent.

I see a danger in trying to do functional testing in unit tests, as it will only makes testing very complicated on 'every run'.

My 3 cents worth...

Niclas