IIRC, the multijson issue is fixed in the current snapshot.

I dunno, I certainly stopped using Ruby 1.8 several years ago. The issue is
that Avro has a strong history of favoring compatibility. It would be
surprising for us to drop Ruby 1.8 support while still in the Avro 1.7 line.

We could plan to only support Ruby 1.9+ in Avro 1.8 and take a contribution
that targeted that, maybe?

--
Sean