Dropping support for Ruby 1.8 in the Avro 1.8.x series sounds like a plan. Is
there already a branch for the 1.8 series?
Until that time happens, I can maintain my fork for people requiring unicode
UTF support on Ruby 1.9+.

I know the multi_json issue is fixed in trunk. However, due to the project's
structure, it's very hard to use a non-release version inside a project.
Because the project doesn't include a gemspec file, you cannot make Bundler use
the latest trunk version.
(In my case, I use avro inside of another gem. Gem can only depend on released
versions of other gems, so I had to fork & release it.)

Willem