Hi Chad,

Yes!
Dropping support for Java 8 is in the talks!
We want to release 1.12 with the current changes in the 'main' branch
(hopefully in the next few weeks) and then we can drop Java 8 in 'main'
that will be Avro 2.0 most likely!
You can open a PR for discussion now! But it will be merged once 1.12 is
released.

Martin