My impression is that we don't have consensus on whether all checks or
minimal checks should be the default, or whether we can have both via `mvn
test` and `mvn verify`.

But that doesn't prevent us from giving -P release a better name and
mentioning it in the dev guide and in some manner in our PR template.

Right now we are living with the combination of the bad aspects - default
is not thorough but not actually fast and a thorough check is undocumented.