I also did an apache github query

select count(*) as apache_projects, sum(uses_maven=true) as
uses_maven, sum(uses_gradle=true) as uses_gradle from (
select
    repo_name,
    max(path contains 'pom.xml') as uses_maven,
    max(path contains 'gradle') as uses_gradle
from [bigquery-public-data:github_repos.files]
where instr(repo_name, 'apache/') == 1
group by repo_name);

Of 425 total apache projects on gitub, just over half (249) use maven,
and only 25 use gradle. So we'd be in the minority, but certainly not
alone.

I don't think we need to use the most common tool, rather we should
use what fits the project well, and the popularity criteria is simply
that we don't want to choose a tool where obscurity would be a
hinderance. Both gradle and maven seem to clear this bar (as do a host
of others that are even more popular, but would be unsuitable for
other reasons, e.g. plain old make).

We would certainly not switch over to gradle if we couldn't do a
release. IIRC, there's still some work to be done to push this
through, but at this point it doesn't seem like there's any reason to
expect it couldn't be done.

Is there any more data that should be gathered before a vote? (Or
should the vote perhaps have a "+/-0, need more information [please
provide details]" option.)