I've got some thoughts :-)

Here is how I see the direction(s):

 - Requirements to be relevant: known scale, SQL, retractions (required for
correct answers)
 - Core value-add: portability! I don't know that there is any other
project ambitiously trying to run Python and Go on "every" data processing
engine.
 - Experiments: SDF and dynamic work rebalancing. Just like event time
processing, when it matters to users these will become widespread and then
Beam's runner can easily make the features portable.

So let's do portability really well on all our most active runners. I have
a radical proposal for how we should think about it:

    A portable Beam runner should be defined to be a _service_ hosting the
Beam job management APIs.

In that sense, we have zero runners today. Even Dataflow is just a service
hosting its own API with a client-side library for converting a Beam
pipeline into a Dataflow pipeline. Re-orienting our thinking this way is
not actually a huge change in code, but emphasizes:

 - our "runners/core" etc should focus on making these services easy
(Thomas G is doing great work here right now)
 - a user selecting a runner should be thought of more as just pointing at
a different endpoint
 - our testing infrastructure should become much more service-oriented,
standing these up even for local testing
 - ditto Luke's point about making a crisp line of SDK/runner responsibility

Kenn