I also tried to run python streaming mobile gaming examples
(hourly_team_score, leader_board) on direct runner with little success:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3889. I think  they escaped our
attention on previous release validations. I just tried them with 2.3.0 and
didn't have much luck either. Since I am not sure when these examples last
worked and warnings shows the examples are using deprecated constructs, I
suspect the issue is with examples, and we can address it separately from
2.4.0 release.