The biggest advantage is actually readability and usability. A secondary
advantage is that it means that Go will be able to interact seamlessly with
BeamSQL, which would be a big win for Go.

A schema is basically a way of saying that a record has a specific set of
(possibly nested, possibly repeated) fields. So for instance let's say that
the user's type is a struct with fields named user, country, purchaseCost.
This allows us to provide transforms that operate on field names. Some
example (using the Java API):

PCollection users = events.apply(Select.fields("user"));  // Select out
only the user field.

PCollection joinedEvents =
queries.apply(Join.innerJoin(clicks).byFields("user"));  // Join two
PCollections by user.

// For each country, calculate the total purchase cost as well as the top
10 purchases.
// A new schema is created containing fields total_cost and top_purchases,
and rows are created with the aggregation results.
PCollection purchaseStatistics = events.apply(
    Group.byFieldNames("country")
               .aggregateField("purchaseCost", Sum.ofLongs(), "total_cost"))
                .aggregateField("purchaseCost", Top.largestLongs(10),
"top_purchases"))

This is far more readable than what we have today, and what unlocks this is
that Beam actually knows the structure of the record instead of assuming
records are uncrackable blobs.

Note that a coder is basically a special case of a schema that has a single
field.

In BeamJava we have a SchemaRegistry which knows how to turn user types
into schemas. We use reflection to analyze many user types (e.g. simple
POJO structs, JavaBean classes, Avro records, protocol buffers, etc.) to
determine the schema, however this is done only when the graph is initially
generated. We do use code generation (in Java we do bytecode generation) to
make this somewhat more efficient. I'm willing to bet that the code
generator you've written for structs could be very easily modified for
schemas instead, so it would not be wasted work if we went with schemas.

One of the things I'm working on now is documenting Beam schemas. They are
already very powerful and useful, but since there is still nothing in our
documentation about them, they are not yet widely used. I expect to finish
draft documentation by the end of January.

Reuven