Hi Jozef,

For sharding in FileIO there are basically two options:

(1) num_shards ~= num_workers => bad spread of the load across workers
(2) num_shards >> num_workers => good spread of the load across workers, but huge number of files

Your approach would give users control over the sharding keys such that they could be adjusted to spread load more evenly.

I'd like to hear from Beam IO experts if that would make sense.

Thanks,
Max