Hi all,
ASF INFRA gave us a middle-ground sort of workaround for this by using
.asf.yaml files. Here's a change to implement it[1], and documentation for
the .asf.yaml file[2], as well as the relevant section for our case[3].

I'll check the docs in [2] well before pushing to merge, just to be sure
we're not breaking anything.

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/.asf.yaml+features+for+git+repositories

[3]