Hi all,

A while ago [1], we discussed using "Automation for Jira" to improve triage
and backlog processing (I spend a lot of my time on this). Due to some
friction [2] [3] back then, I did not finish it.

Now, I just happened to check and I do have the ability to create rules
directly. That's convenient!

So I want to re-propose some of the ideas that Ismaƫl had, slightly
modified, along with some other ideas I have from my experience doing a lot
of Jira handling. I will say it in specific rule form:

1. When issue created: if assignee == creator then mark Open (already
Triaged), because someone is probably just filing a bug tracking work they
already started.

2. When issue linked to PR: mark it Open (already Triaged). *The triggers
should exist but seem to be missing.

3a. When assigned issue has no update in 30 days, add "stale-assigned" label
3b. When issue with "stale-assigned" label has no update in 7 days, unassign

4a. When unassigned issue has no update in 60 days, add "stale" label
4b. When issue with "stale" label has no update in 14 days, close as
Obsolete

And I think we can also use this to improve visibility and understanding of
expectation of high priority issues, per
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/jira-priorities/

5. Some kind of daily alert for P0 "Blocker" issues, because these are
outages. The community is being blocked *right now* so it should have dev@
visibility and at least daily updates (probably more). Options include dev@
email, Slack notification, etc.

6. Some kind of alert or auto-assign for P1 "Critical" issues, because
these aren't an outage but they would hinder a release.

And, finally, they can also automate some aspects of release busywork:

7. When a version is released, it can create the n+2 version. Example: when
2.20.0 is being released, we already have 2.21.0 and move issues to it.
When 2.20.0 is finalized, create 2.22.0 so it is ready to have issues moved
to it.

8. We could have an automatic comment on bugs filed at P0 or P1 or with Fix
Version set to explain the special community awareness that they imply.

What do you think of each of these rules? Especially if you have ideas of
how to finish the ones that I left as just ideas.

Kenn

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/125851639b2f5c2ee55a9eb6b27cf07adee48e2d2a4e5157609b3132%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[2]