Hi Teodor,

the confusion here maybe comes from the fact, that there are two (logical) representations of an element in PCollection. One representation is the never mutable (most probably serialized in a binary form) form of a PCollection element, where no modifications are possible. Once a PCollection is created (e.g. read from source, or created by a PTransform) it cannot be modified further. The second form is an SDK-dependent representation of each PCollection element in user code. This representation is what UDFs work with. The same source (binary) form of element can have (and will have) different representation in Java SDK and in Python SDK. The Beam model says nothing about mutability of this SDK-dependent form. Nevertheless, even if you modify this element, it has no impact on the source representation. But, it can lead to SDK-dependent errors, when the element is mutated in a way that a runner might not expect.

Hope this helps.

 Jan