On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM Robert Bradshaw <rober...@google.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:38 AM Brian Hulette <bhule...@google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I spoke with Gris and Agnieszka about this on Friday. I should probably
>> fill in the background a bit.
>>
>> The strategy we've adopted ro review the new designs so far is pretty
>> similar to what Robert proposed, except rather than having a separate
>> directory and merging PRs to the master branch, they've been sending PRs to
>> merge into a separate `website-revamp` branch [1]. I've been keeping
>> `website-revamp` synced to master, and I've been careful about only merging
>> PRs that edit the website style (e.g. css and html templates) and not
>> changes to the content (markdown files), to avoid merge conflicts when we
>> finally bring the website-revamp branch into master.
>>

> Ah, that sounds good. For some reason I completely missed that there was a
> separate branch being used here.
>

>> (Conflicts in style changes can be easily resolved, conflicts in content
>> are much more difficult to tease apart)
>>
>> Unfortunately some of the recent PRs make changes to the markdown files
>> as well. I spoke with Gris and Agnieszka about this and they indicated
>> there will likely be more content changes as they edit copy and split up
>> pages.
>>
>> On Friday we discussed a couple different options:
>> 1) Make content changes on the master branch, completely separate from
>> the style changes, or
>> 2) Have a *planned* freeze in website changes to finalize the new design
>>
>> Honestly my preference is for (1), but I'm hesitant to push for it as it
>> puts more burden on the website developers, who'd need to make sure content
>> changes work in two website layouts. (2) on the other hand puts time
>> pressure on the reviewers (myself and Pablo so far).
>>

> My preference would be for (1) as well; and in addition presumably the
> content changes would improve the current website as well as the new. There
> is also option (3) which is allowing development to continue on the dev
> branch (rather than a freeze) and placing the responsibility of correctly
> recognizing and resolving conflicts on the owners of the website-revamp
> branch.

I see myself (and all Beam committers) as the owner of the website-revamp
branch, It's in the apache/beam repo.

> It might be worth highlighting an example of a content change that makes
> any of these workflows difficult.

The most compelling example is the extensive changes to the contribution
guide here:
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/13565/files#diff-3f46c575ca6547b8deef533eb8e191507edcf806529f7faecb4a56a246063af6
The PR was already missing the changes made to the contribution guide in
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/13308. I also just merged master into
website-revamp, and the PR now has a merge conflict with the changes from
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/13420.