I don't know the details of the checkerframework, but there seems a contradiction between what code is (currently) generated and what we therefore release and what actually the checkerframework states [1]:

@UnknownKeyFor:

Used internally by the type system; should never be written by a programmer.

If this annotation is generated for overwritten methods, then I'd say, that it means we place a great burden to our users - either not using autogenerated methods, or erase all the generated annotations afterwards. Either way, that is not "polite" from Beam.

What we should judge is not only a formal purity of code, but what stands on the other side is how usable APIs we provide. We should not head for 100% pure code and sacrificing use comfort. Every check that leaks to user code is at a price and we should not ignore that. No free lunch.

From my point of view:

 a) if a check does not modify the bytecode, it is fine and we can use it - we are absolutely free to use any tooling we agree on, if our users cannot be affected anyhow

 b) if a tool needs to be leaked to user, it should be as small leakage as possible

 c) if a check significantly affects compile performance, it should be possible to opt-out

I think that our current setup violates all these three points.

Moving the check to different CI is a possibility (a)), it would then require opt-in flag to be able to run the check locally. It would also stop the leakage (if we would release code without this check).

If we want to keep some annotations for user's benefit (which might be fine), it should be really limited to the bare minimum (e.g. only @Nullable for method arguments and return values, possibly more, I don't know if and how we can configure that). Definitely not @UnknownKeyFor, that is simply internal to the checker. We should then have opt-out flag for local development before committing changes.

 Jan

[1] https://checkerframework.org/api/org/checkerframework/checker/nullness/qual/UnknownKeyFor.html