I staged my current working copy built from head here [1], see
CombinePerKey here [2]. Note it also has a few other changes, most notably
I excluded several internal-only modules that are currently in our API docs
(I will PR this soon regardless).

> are these inherited members grouped in such a way that it makes it easy
to ignore them once they get to "low" in the stack?
There doesn't seem to be any grouping, but it does look like inherited
members are added at the end.

> If it can't be per-module, is there a "nice" set of ancestors to avoid
(as it seems this option takes such an argument).
Ah good point, I missed this. I suppose we could avoid basic constructs
like PTransform, DoFn, etc. I'm not sure how realistic that is though. It
would be nice if this argument worked the other way

[1] https://theneuralbit.github.io/beam-site/pydoc/inherited-members
[2]
https://theneuralbit.github.io/beam-site/pydoc/inherited-members/apache_beam.transforms.core.html#apache_beam.transforms.core.CombinePerKey

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 4:45 PM Robert Bradshaw <rober...@google.com> wrote:

> +1 to an example. In particular, are these inherited members grouped in
> such a way that it makes it easy to ignore them once they get to "low" in
> the stack? If it can't be per-module, is there a "nice" set of ancestors to
> avoid (as it seems this option takes such an argument).
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 4:23 PM Pablo Estrada <pabl...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you have an example of what it would look like when released?
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 4:16 PM Brian Hulette <bhule...@google.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working on generating useful API docs for the DataFrame API
>>> (BEAM-12074). In doing so, one thing I've found would be very helpful is if
>>> we could include docstrings for inherited members in the API docs. That way
>>> docstrings for operations defined in DeferredDataFrameOrSeries [1], will be
>>> propagated to DeferredDataFrame [2] and DeferredSeries, and the former can
>>> be hidden entirely. This would be more consistent with the pandas
>>> documentation [3].
>>>
>>> It looks like we can do this by specifying :inherited-members: [4], but
>>> this will apply to _all_ of our API docs, there doesn't seem to be a way to
>>> restrict it to a particular module. This seems generally useful to me, but
>>> it would be a significant change, so I wanted to see if there are any
>>> objections from dev@ before doing this.
>>>
>>> An example of the kind of change this would produce: any PTransform
>>> sub-classes, e.g. CombinePerKey [5], would now include docstrings for every
>>> PTransform member, e.g. with_input_types [6], and display_data [7].
>>>
>>> Would there be any objections to that?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> [1]