Hello Robert,

Beam has documented only OffsetRangeTracker [1] for new SDF API. Since Beam is
moving away from Source API, I thought it would be nice to develop IO
connectors by using new SDFs. For this I need to create restriction tracker
that follows new SDF API.

So I propose adding ByteKeyRange as new restriction class and
ByteKeyRestrictionTracker as new restriction tracker class. In my
implementation I’ve also used ByteKey class which are given to restriction.

  1.
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/7eb7fd017a43353204eb8037603409dda7e0414a/sdks/python/apache_beam/io/restriction_trackers.py#L76

On 2022/02/11 18:27:23 Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> Hi Sam! Glad to hear you're willing to contribute.
>
> Though the name is a bit different, I'm wondering if this is already
> present as LexicographicKeyRangeTracker.
> https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/release-2.35.0/sdks/python/apache_beam/io/range_trackers.py#L349
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 9:54 AM Ahmet Altay
> <al...@google.com<mailto:al...@google.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Sami. Thank you for your interest.
> >
> > Adding people who might be able to comment: @Chamikara Jayalath @Lukasz Cwik
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:38 AM Sami Niemi
> > <sa...@solita.fi<mailto:sa...@solita.fi>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> I noticed that Python SDK only has implementation for OffsetRangeTracker
> >> and OffsetRange while Java also has ByteKeyRange and -Tracker.
> >>

> >> I have currently created simple implementations of following Python
> >> classes:
> >>
> >> ByteKey
> >> ByteKeyRange
> >> ByteKeyRestrictionTracker
> >>

> >> I would like to make contribution and make these available in Python SDK
> >> in addition to OffsetRange and -Tracker. I would like to hear any thoughts
> >> about this and should I make a contribution.
> >>

> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> Sami Niemi

SAMI NIEMI
Data Engineer