I finally was able to get back to this and try to make an x-language
transform for Bigtable to be used in Python, but I could use some help.

I started out with the Bigtable
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigtable/BigtableIO.java>
library, and it seemed like I should be able to go with option 1 here
<https://beam.apache.org/documentation/programming-guide/#1311-creating-cross-language-java-transforms>,
i.e. not write any Java code.

As a non-Java user, it still wasn't obvious how to get this working, but I
eventually got it:

        java_transform = JavaExternalTransform(

            'org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigtable.BigtableIO',

            BeamJarExpansionService(

'sdks:java:io:google-cloud-platform:expansion-service:shadowJar',

                    extra_args=["{{PORT}}",
'--javaClassLookupAllowlistFile=*'])

        ).read().withProjectId(projectId="myProjectId")

        data = p | 'Read from Bigtable' >> java_transform

It wasn't clear to me how to find the right jar to use, or that I needed to
add the extra_args when specifying my own JAR.

However, I get the following error:

RuntimeError: java.lang.RuntimeException: Expected to find exactly one
matching method in transform Read{config=BigtableConfig{projectId=null,
instanceId=null, tableId=, bigtableOptionsConfigurator=null, options=null},
readOptions=BigtableReadOptions{rowFilter=null,
keyRanges=[ByteKeyRange{startKey=[], endKey=[]}]}} for BuilderMethodname:
"withProjectId"

schema {

  fields {

    name: "projectId"

    type {

      atomic_type: STRING

    }

  }

  id: "8b43f1f0-313f-4b46-9559-d9d11fd7ecf2"

}

payload: "\001\000\vmyProjectId"

 but found 2

at
org.apache.beam.sdk.expansion.service.JavaClassLookupTransformProvider.getMethod(JavaClassLookupTransformProvider.java:236)

at
org.apache.beam.sdk.expansion.service.JavaClassLookupTransformProvider.applyBuilderMethods(JavaClassLookupTransformProvider.java:145)

at
org.apache.beam.sdk.expansion.service.JavaClassLookupTransformProvider.getTransform(JavaClassLookupTransformProvider.java:129)

at
org.apache.beam.sdk.expansion.service.ExpansionService$TransformProvider.apply(ExpansionService.java:396)

at
org.apache.beam.sdk.expansion.service.ExpansionService.expand(ExpansionService.java:515)

at
org.apache.beam.sdk.expansion.service.ExpansionService.expand(ExpansionService.java:595)

at
org.apache.beam.model.expansion.v1.ExpansionServiceGrpc$MethodHandlers.invoke(ExpansionServiceGrpc.java:220)

at
org.apache.beam.vendor.grpc.v1p43p2.io.grpc.stub.ServerCalls$UnaryServerCallHandler$UnaryServerCallListener.onHalfClose(ServerCalls.java:182)

at
org.apache.beam.vendor.grpc.v1p43p2.io.grpc.internal.ServerCallImpl$ServerStreamListenerImpl.halfClosed(ServerCallImpl.java:340)

at
org.apache.beam.vendor.grpc.v1p43p2.io.grpc.internal.ServerImpl$JumpToApplicationThreadServerStreamListener$1HalfClosed.runInContext(ServerImpl.java:866)

at
org.apache.beam.vendor.grpc.v1p43p2.io.grpc.internal.ContextRunnable.run(ContextRunnable.java:37)

at
org.apache.beam.vendor.grpc.v1p43p2.io.grpc.internal.SerializingExecutor.run(SerializingExecutor.java:133)

at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)

at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)

I believe this is pointing out that there are two withProjectId methods -
one that takes String
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigtable/BigtableIO.java#L285>,
one that takes a ValueProvider
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigtable/BigtableIO.java#L273>
.

I take it this means that the write-no-Java option won't work here? The
HBase
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigtable/BigtableIO.java>
implementation looks like it would have the same issue.

Before I try and write Java code and convince my team that we're OK to have
some Java code, I wanted to check if there's anything I'm missing, or if
I'll need to go with the process described in 13.1.1.2 and implement an
ExternalTransformBuilder and an ExternalTransformRegistrar.

Thanks!
-Lina