Hey everyone,

The Beam Dependency Check Report email (like
https://lists.apache.org/thread/tc9v1d66rx77wzvrjnkcf0jo3rxtmrhn) has not
had a successful incarnation since July 21st, 2022. I've done a little bit
of digging into the problem and have found that the issue lies in a query
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/2b13a03acc46c0a53dca9857f530d08a20b50da1/.test-infra/jenkins/dependency_check/dependency_check_report_generator.py#L196>
to a "Python Compatibility Checking Service" that is just an IP address
also taking the package name, version, and then specifying that it wants
Python 2 packages specifically. I made a few brief attempts to figure out
what that IP address was supposed to lead to and didn't turn up anything;
however, that doesn't seem to matter since the root of the problem is that
the job cannot connect to anything at that address, so the build fails and
the email is sent out without a body.

I started a bit of work this afternoon trying to update the job to direct
its Python-related queries to PyPi's JSON API (
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/26897); however, I question the need
for this automated email at all given that we added Dependabot to the
repository around 6 weeks before the Jenkins job started failing. If
there's a good reason to fix it I'll keep digging, otherwise I'm in favor
of removing the job altogether.

Thanks,

Jack McCluskey

--