> - reviewed

Generally, I'm actually probably -0 on this one - it depends on context,
but things that are for other developers only are usually better off
without this requirement IMO since you get more contributions and more
useful/unpolished things. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if confluence
actually meets the bar for easy to update though because getting an
account/initial setup is a pain. So I'm -0 since I don't know of a tool
that both allows people to easily edit and avoids spam, but if such a tool
exists I'd strongly prefer that.

>  - discoverable/orientable aka top/side nav

I'm -1 on this requirement. A structured in-repo `docs` folder and/or a
dedicated developer documentation repo have worked well on teams I've been
on in the past and it avoids having to maintain additional infrastructure
for a website. It also brings folks closer to the code, making edits more
likely. These look nice, but I don't know how much value they actually add.

> I did a quick search to see if there was a standard answer to having top
and side nav for a docs/ folder of markdown in your github repo. I guess
that is GitHub Pages? TBH I have used them happily in the distant past but
somehow I thought they had been deprecated or something.

I'm probably -1 on pages because at that point we've got 2 different
website setups, one using hugo (https://beam.apache.org/) and one using
Jekyl (pages); at that point, we might as well just move things totally
back into the website and just have it live under a separate section of the
site.

My vote if we're moving away from confluence (which seems fine) would be
either a dedicated `docs` or `developer-docs` folder or a separate markdown
only repo.