A lot of the boilerplate is largely for new contributors. Leaving or
removing the boilerplate isn't going to make a difference to the regular
contributors but could add some friction to new ones. That being said, it's
pretty annoying as a code reviewer to get a pull request with a title and
no other context. I'm not asking for the overwritten, fully formatted LLM
PR summaries, but a quick explanation of what intent of the PR is would be
helpful. It would be great if Beam contributors as a whole could be more
consistent in that effort... I worry that ditching the template will
further encourage the pattern of PRs only coming with titles.

So my opinion is "leave it and try to be more active as a community in
writing PR descriptions" without enforcing it via infrastructure.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 2:25 PM Danny McCormick via dev <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I find the template useless for my own work, and I don't think it helps me
> review changes from committers. But I do wonder if it is helpful for new
> contributors (IMO this is who the feature is for).
>
> My (unsubstantiated) opinion is that:
>
>
>    1. It is useless for most people, but also harmless
>    2. It probably sometimes helps new contributors
>
>
> Given that, I'd vote to leave it, but I don't care very much.
>
> Thanks,
> Danny
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 2:06 PM Kenneth Knowles <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For discussion: https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/40339
>>
>> I just reviewed yet another pull request that has the description
>> "PLEASE add a meaningful description here" from the template, just left
>> there.
>>
>>
>>    - Since 2026-01-01 it looks like 370+ PRs have left the template
>>    without modifying it [unmodified].
>>    - There are a total of about 1800 non-dependabot PRs in the same
>>    time. [total]
>>    - In fact, of the 1430 others, quite a few are just blank or just say
>>    "Fixes #<issue>" so I would round up to 25% "blank" descriptions.
>>
>> So my thoughts on this:
>>
>>    - A rate of 75% of people actually describing their change is
>>    probably satisfied by the null hypothesis: this many people would do it
>>    without any template begging them to do it)
>>    - A fully blank PR field might even be *more* likely to be edited.
>>    - The other stuff in the template is really mostly noise, or should
>>    be automation. (like choosing a reviewer or the CI status badges)
>>    - A lot of PRs now have their description written by an LLM, or taken
>>    directly from the commit text (also written by LLM) so we don't need the
>>    template.
>>    - We could have an LLM check if they actually added a description and
>>    fail the check, (with a shortcut for totally unmodified description,
>>    or tiny edit distance, that uses zero tokens)
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> I'm just in a "cleaning up extra / old stuff" mood lately.
>>
>> Kenn
>>
>> [unmodified]
>> https://github.com/apache/beam/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aclosed++created%3A%3E%3D2026-01-01+%22add+a+meaningful+description%22
>>
>> [total]
>> https://github.com/apache/beam/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aclosed++created%3A%3E%3D2026-01-01+-author%3Aapp%2Fdependabot
>>
>

Reply via email to