All good points. Tale a look at the PR. I think the current draft keeps the
spirit and is hopefully more inviting by removing noise and inaccuracies.

Kenn

On Mon, Oct 5, 2026 at 3:13 PM Jan Lukavský <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the template is a little too much verbose, but otherwise it is
> useful (agree, mostly for new contributors, but that is the point of it). I
> would not go with replacing "PLEASE" with a text that should be more
> unpleasant, because our interest should not be to create friction, but the
> other way around - trying to invite people in.
>
> I'll leave it as is or we can shorten it, but I'd keep the spirit.
>
>  Jan
> On 9/29/26 21:07, Valentyn Tymofieiev via dev wrote:
>
> I noticed new contributors often mention their changes in CHANGES.md, a
> hint they likely picked up from the template. Contributor tips seem useful
> too, so I'd rather keep the template.  We can clarify or shorten to only
> keep what's useful.
>
> On my PRs I usually delete the template and write my own description.
>
> > I just reviewed yet another pull request that has the description
> "PLEASE add a meaningful description here" from the template, just left
> there.
>
> PRs should have a meaningful description unless the title explains
> everything. I would encourage asking the author to add one or edit the
> description before merge.
>
> We could also change the "PLEASE line" into smth like:
>
> <Replace this template with PR description unless self-explanatory from
> title> to make it less unpleasant when people ignore it.
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 11:43 AM Jack McCluskey via dev <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> A lot of the boilerplate is largely for new contributors. Leaving or
>> removing the boilerplate isn't going to make a difference to the regular
>> contributors but could add some friction to new ones. That being said,
>> it's pretty annoying as a code reviewer to get a pull request with a
>> title and no other context. I'm not asking for the overwritten, fully
>> formatted LLM PR summaries, but a quick explanation of what intent of the
>> PR is would be helpful. It would be great if Beam contributors as a whole
>> could be more consistent in that effort... I worry that ditching the
>> template will further encourage the pattern of PRs only coming with titles.
>>
>> So my opinion is "leave it and try to be more active as a community in
>> writing PR descriptions" without enforcing it via infrastructure.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 2:25 PM Danny McCormick via dev <
>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I find the template useless for my own work, and I don't think it helps
>>> me review changes from committers. But I do wonder if it is helpful for new
>>> contributors (IMO this is who the feature is for).
>>>
>>> My (unsubstantiated) opinion is that:
>>>
>>>
>>>    1. It is useless for most people, but also harmless
>>>    2. It probably sometimes helps new contributors
>>>
>>>
>>> Given that, I'd vote to leave it, but I don't care very much.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Danny
>>>
>>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 2:06 PM Kenneth Knowles <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> For discussion: https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/40339
>>>>
>>>> I just reviewed yet another pull request that has the description
>>>> "PLEASE add a meaningful description here" from the template, just
>>>> left there.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>    - Since 2026-01-01 it looks like 370+ PRs have left the template
>>>>    without modifying it [unmodified].
>>>>    - There are a total of about 1800 non-dependabot PRs in the same
>>>>    time. [total]
>>>>    - In fact, of the 1430 others, quite a few are just blank or just
>>>>    say "Fixes #<issue>" so I would round up to 25% "blank" descriptions.
>>>>
>>>> So my thoughts on this:
>>>>
>>>>    - A rate of 75% of people actually describing their change is
>>>>    probably satisfied by the null hypothesis: this many people would do it
>>>>    without any template begging them to do it)
>>>>    - A fully blank PR field might even be *more* likely to be edited.
>>>>    - The other stuff in the template is really mostly noise, or should
>>>>    be automation. (like choosing a reviewer or the CI status badges)
>>>>    - A lot of PRs now have their description written by an LLM, or
>>>>    taken directly from the commit text (also written by LLM) so we don't 
>>>> need
>>>>    the template.
>>>>    - We could have an LLM check if they actually added a description
>>>>    and fail the check, (with a shortcut for totally unmodified description,
>>>>    or tiny edit distance, that uses zero tokens)
>>>>
>>>> WDYT?
>>>>
>>>> I'm just in a "cleaning up extra / old stuff" mood lately.
>>>>
>>>> Kenn
>>>>
>>>> [unmodified]
>>>> https://github.com/apache/beam/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aclosed++created%3A%3E%3D2026-01-01+%22add+a+meaningful+description%22
>>>>
>>>> [total]
>>>> https://github.com/apache/beam/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aclosed++created%3A%3E%3D2026-01-01+-author%3Aapp%2Fdependabot
>>>>
>>>

Reply via email to