So to summarize where I think this thread is at -- we'd like to more
clearly lay out the expectations for larger proposals.
- Explain what the design doc / proposal should include (like is done in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/
Kafka+Improvement+Proposals)
- Clearly track the open proposals (potentially in JIRA with a known label
and incrementing proposal IDs).
- Set expectations around the timelines for proposals -- both to ensure
enough feedback is gathered and perhaps inactive proposals are archived.

Another suggestion: How about if we try resurrecting the (virtual)
community meetings? Anything that's a deep model change or potentially
contentious can be presented there. Often a 15 minute overview of these
topics can be helpful context when reading the detailed proposal.