I finally found the time to have a look. :-)

The API looks very good! (It's very similar to an API we recently added to
Flink, which is inspired by the same Codahale/Dropwizard metrics).

About the semantics, the "A", "B" and "C" you mention in the doc: doesn't
this mean that we have to keep the metrics in some fault-tolerant way?
Almost in something like the StateInternals, because they should survive
failures and contain the metrics over the successful runs. (Side note: in
Flink the metrics are just "since the last restart from failure" in case of
failures.)

About querying the metrics, what we have mostly seen is that people want to
integrate metrics into a Metrics system that they already have in place.
They use Graphite, StatsD or simply JMX for this. In Flink we provide an
API for reporters that users can plug in to export the metrics to their
system of choice. I'm sure some people will like the option of having the
metrics queryable on the PipelineResult but I would assume that for most
production use cases integration with a metrics system is more important.

Regarding removal of Aggregators I'm for B, to quote Saint Exupéry:
  "It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing more to remove."

Cheers,
Aljoscha