> > Plus, I was thinking, should there be support for shortened journal
> > names? Like J. Clim. and then every one knows it is the Journal of
> > Climatology? Will be very tough to implement though, as I don't think
> > there even exists a list with all valid shortenings. Just a thought...
>
> Yes, abbreviations for journal names are quite common. Implementation should
> not
> be very difficult. In a simple case each user can him/herself define a
> replacement (or alias) list
> (i.e. "Journal of Climatology" -> "J. Clim.")
> that can be switched on/off as the user likes.
>
> Thanks for the idea.
>
> Matthias Basler

There is a standard list of abbreviations. ISSN has published such a list for
many languages based on the ISO 4 standard. Here are the relevant references:

ISSN: http://www.issn.org:8080/pub/products/lstwa
ISO:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=3569

I'm not particularly fond of the idea of forcing the user to make their own
definitions if a standardized set already exists.

My 0.2 cents.

Cheers,
Peter Dudek
Department of Cell Biology