It is a useful functionality, especially since the SELECT list can contain
mix of primitive types and array or map type columns.
I do see your point about the Postgres semantics of ORDER BY vs DISTINCT
ON.
I don't like the hidden semantics of MySQL either.
Perhaps the compromise solution is to introduce functions such as
FIRST_ROW() aggregation function (similar to lead/lag window functions) and
use GROUP BY.

-Aman