The concept of a LIMIT per key as Julian suggested would actually be really
useful for a couple of reasons:

1. It's a very common query in olap scenarios, and it would be nice to have
a simpler way than window functions to express it in sql (and for us
through the RelBuilder)
2. Not all databases support window functions but perhaps something
similar, and in those cases it's really difficult to push-down

Examples:
a) Clickhouse (a jdbc sql database): doesn't support window funcs, but has
their own syntax for limit per key [1]:
// top 5 products for each country by sales
SELECT country, product_id, sum(sales) s FROM T GROUP BY country,
product_id ORDER BY s LIMIT 5 BY country
b) Druid: right now the druid topN only supports single dimension, but if
it ever supported more nesting it would be very difficult to access that
functionality through the sql interface

If there were a way to express LIMIT BY this would make things much easier.

[1]
http://clickhouse-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/query_language/queries.html#limit-n-by-modifier

- Chris