Calcite PMC,

For the first time in this project (to my knowledge) a committer has vetoed the
commit of another committer.

The details of this particular case are here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2438
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2438>

I would like the PMC to answer the following questions: (1) is the veto valid
in this case? (2) when in general is it valid to veto a commit?

Here is the ASF policy document on the matter:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto
<https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto>

I was on the receiving end of this veto, so I am far from dispassionate about
this matter. Therefore I intend to take a back seat in this discussion and I
would appreciate if another PMC member would drive it. I will state for the
record my opinion that vetoes are an important right in the ASF, and that
making a veto is not a light matter, nor is a PMC declaring a veto invalid.