In JDBC one can configure a fetch size which would reflect the amount of rows to be fetched initially, but also subsequently. https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html#setFetchSize(int)

According to what you are writing, ES behvior is what TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE would do i.e. provide a snapshot view that isn't affected by changes.

IMO TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE means that if you have rows R1, R2, R3, R4, ... and view R1, R2, then R3 is deleted and you fetch the next rows, you wouldn't see R3.

According to the JDBC spec (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/Connection.html#prepareStatement(java.lang.String,%20int,%20int) ) you don't have to support all modes. Usually, user code doesn't use scrolling that much, but at least forward scrolling makes sense.