There’s a discussion in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2846
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2846> about reorganizing the Sql
operator table. The idea is for people to be able to start a connection with,
say, the standard set of SQL functions, plus functions to emulate MySQL, plus
spatial functions. And for us to reorganize the code so that if a function is
in both MySQL and Oracle but not in the SQL Standard we only define that
function in one place.

We need a word for a "set of functions". (Standard, MySQL, Oracle and Spatial
are examples of sets of functions in the above paragraph.) It is tempting to
call this a dialect, but that word has an existing meaning that we do not want
to change. “Conformance” is another existing concept that we need to work with.
I suggested “flavor” in the JIRA case, but now I’m thinking it is an arbitrary
word that gives very little clue as to its purpose. The concept is already
exposed via the connect-string parameter “fun" (e.g.
“jdbc:calcite:fun=spatial,oracle”).

Any ideas for a better word, or a better way of organizing the dialect /
conformance / function set concepts.