It is difficult to build LICENSE and NOTICE files automatically.

For example, if you have copied some code from a project that has a NOTICE file
you only need to copy the lines of the NOTICE that pertain to the code that you
have copied. If we don’t exercise judgment we will end up creating LICENSE and
NOTICE files larger than they need to be.

Maintaining LICENSE and NOTICE manually is not too onerous. Each release, check
the log of pom.xml to find out what dependencies have been added and removed,
and make sure that the corresponding changes have been made to LICENSE and
NOTICE.

Conversely, if we rely too heavily on automatic tooling, and do not learn how
to write LICENSE and NOTICE files, then the tooling will make mistakes and we
won’t notice.

Julian