Before we accept this, I would like to make sure that the source
artifacts are identical (in terms of name, contents, internal
directory structure) to the artifacts we produce today, and the same
goes for the contents of the JAR files (manifests,
META-INF/service/java.sql.Driver files) and generated pom.xml files.

In fact I think we should actually produce a release candidate
(including signing artifacts and uploading to nexus) as part of the
testing.

"Identical artifacts" may sound like an unreasonably high bar, but it
took a lot of effort & iterations to get them into the current shape.