Personally, I would opt for a more permissive build.

Unexpected line endings is kind of subjective.
I guess there are people who use Windows and they still have their editors
configured to use LF endings.

Moreover, checking other opensource projects it is kind of rare to release
source code in multiple formats with different line endings.
I didn't attempt to build these projects but I would be surprised if the
build fails depending on the OS.

Indeed in some cases these might lead to test failures or other weird
behavior but these should not happen very often.