Francis>My assumption is that they should be equivalent, but I would love
to get
Francis>some confirmation first as releasing a broken 1.17.0 would cause
more work.

For instance,
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/org/apache/calcite/avatica/avatica-standalone-server/1.15.0/avatica-standalone-server-1.15.0.pom
declares
lots of dependencies, however, 1.15-shaded.jar does bundle them. Why
declare dependencies at pom level?

In that regard, avatica-standalone-server-1.16.0.jar is more consistent.
1) The naming says "standalone", and the jar is indeed "standalone"
2) Its pom file declares the proper list of dependencies: an empty list
3) It is consistent with
https://calcite.apache.org/avatica/docs/compatibility.html which says
"called avatica-standalone-server. This artifact is a runnable jar (e.g.
java -jar"
Note: compatibility.html was not touched for quite a while.

Of course, we can publish multiple jars under the same artifactid (e.g.
non-shaded and shaded), but I would recommend refraining from using
classifiers like `-shaded`
It is better to use distinct artifact ids for shaded vs non-shaded as it
enables us to convey proper dependency and other metadata for each jar.

---

Regarding "push release tag" vs "push Nexus" vs "push SVN" ordering I do
not have a strong preference.
"push tag" could probably be moved to the end of the list.

For now, the tasks can be executed individually like
gw releaseRepository
gw publishSvnDist -x pushReleaseTag
gw pushReleaseTag

Vladimir