I noticed that yesterday Haisheng removed the ‘fix in 1.23’ labels from several
JIRA cases. I support this - we need to get a release out - but I don’t want to
lose the fact that many of these cases had PRs and were ready to merge to
master.

We all know that we have a backlog of PRs. There are good contributions that
are not being merged to master because we have too few reviewers.

I would like to propose a solution. After 1.23 is released, keep the master
branch closed until we have gone through the backlog of PRs. (Not all PRs, just
those that were tagged ‘fix for 1.23’. And we don’t have to merge them all - we
can reject them if not ready.)

Committers who work on Calcite daily will have a strong incentive to work on
other peoples’ PRs.

If there are other suggestions for addressing this problem, I would like to
hear them.