Serializabilty is not very popular in Java right now. There are a
bunch of concerns, including security. Serializable classes are very
brittle, because it's very easy to add a non-serializable field value
in a sub-class.

I strongly favor externalizing over serialization. Convert RexNode to
a serializable type (e.g. java.lang.String!), and then convert it back
on the other side.

Julian