Thanks Stamatis for logging the issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4136
I have looked into it a bit more in detail, and it seems indeed a blocking
issue, which can be reproduced by tweaking some unit tests in Calcite.
Even though the fix is simple (use the newer version of the rules instead
of the deprecated ones), users should not be forced to do so in order to
use 1.24.