I agree with you. It’s probably derived from “master” as in the “gold master”
[1] which is the mix from which a sound engineer would cut a record or CD. And
who knows where that term came from?

But in the end, the origin of the term is irrelevant. The current name is, or
may be, unwelcoming to some people, so let’s just move on.

Julian

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastering_(audio)