Attached below is a draft of this month's board report. I plan to submit it
on October 7.
Please let me know if you have any additions or corrections.

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not
residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
There are currently 51 committers and 23 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Ruben Quesada Lopez was added to the PMC on 2020-08-10
- Rui Wang was added as committer on 2020-09-07

## Project Activity:
Avatica Go 5.0.0 was released on 2020-07-16. It is a major release of
Avatica
Go with a number of improvements and a breaking change affecting connection
metadata. Worth mentioning the support for batching query string parameters
in
the DSN, allowing updates to the server to be executed once Close() is
called
on the prepared statement.

Calcite 1.24.0 was released on 2020-07-24, including more than 80 resolved
issues. Among those it’s worth highlighting some new features of the
optimizer
for more efficient search space pruning as well as the support of a new SQL
dialect for Presto.

Calcite 1.25.0 was released on 2020-08-22, with fewer but important features
improving the parameterization of optimizer rules, adding support for new
spatial functions, and interval expressions. The release also introduced a
few
breaking changes but so far the users seem to have embraced the changes.

Members of the community gave talks at ApacheCon 2020, bringing to the
surface
Calcite through discussions about other projects. Although we didn’t have
talks dedicated to Calcite, it is nice to receive mentions and witness the
adoption of Calcite by other open source projects and people in Academia.

## Community Health:
The overall activity in the community has slightly decreased in the past few
months without this being worrisome. Releases occur often, the community is
growing, and most of the time users' questions do not remain unanswered.

The design discussions were fewer in the past quarter and people leading
these
efforts had quickly led them to consensus. As a result, we didn't have
lengthy
debates thus it's normal to see the activity of the dev@ and issues@ lists
slightly decreased (5% and 9% accordingly).

The number of closed issues and pull requests decreased by 19% which can be
explained by the low number of active committers (~12 during this period)
out
of which the majority pushed mostly individual contributions. A small
decrease
in closed issues can be attributed to those opened after applying static
code
analysis frameworks on the project that remain as tasks for the next
versions.