The backlog is our usual problem; the number keeps increasing but it is
true that we don't have a better idea of how well/bad we are doing.

A metric sounds like a good idea and putting in the report every quarter
will help us have a permanent trace.

Percentage of open pull requests after three months is a good one.

Another could be the number commits from non-committers per quarter [1]
which would give something like the following:

Q1 2017:44
Q2 2017:43
Q3 2017:27
Q4 2017:36