As Julian mentioned, I don't think we can move on with the release before
removing the wrapper jars.

There have been some recent discussions about similar issues in other
projects [1] and the situation was escalated to the board.
>From these discussions, and others in the past it is clear that there can
be misinterpretations of the ASF policy.

Personally, I agree with all the points raised by Vladimir but with my PMC
hat on I think the best course of action is to remove the jars and possibly
the wrapper altogether.
It doesn't seem very complicated to do so and it will save us time from
disagreeing about the policy and post release compliance actions.

We can fallback to our old model and request a specific version of Gradle
to be installed for people to compile the project.

Best,
Stamatis

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r3057bdd64b46bef1561b5fef3a7c1e40ade0da80df9915201cc8f315%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E