I have logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4575 and
in it I propose that we exclude the Gradle wrapper (4 files) from the
source distribution. We would also need to amend build instructions in
site/_docs/howto.md.

If ASF policy changes we can revisit, but we should not wait for that to happen.

The other issue with the release can be fixed by committing the
generated LICENSE file to Git. I have logged
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4576 outlining the
problem and a possible solution.

Julian