It makes perfect sense to send nominations to the private list.

Assuming that multiple people are nominated, we should maybe agree on how
to proceed with the vote. Do we consider everyone and settle on a majority
vote or do we vote for the one who was nominated by more people?

Both options are very similar but the difference may be significant if we
count nominations from PMC and non-PMC members the same way.

If we say that PMC nominations matter the most then probably we could move
the whole discussion to the private list (including the initial email)
since there is no strong incentive for non-PMC members to participate; it
will not really affect the outcome.

Another point worth clarifying is if we can nominate someone who has
already been a PMC chair in the past (including the current chair). Every
Calcite chair since Calcite's graduation from the incubation has served
exactly once and I think this is also part of the tradition. I like the
fact that new people are getting familiar with this role and it is
important for the future of the project but we shouldn't put this as a
strict requirement for the nomination process.

Best,
Stamatis