Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your answer.

I already register the hint strategies as in KuduQuery.java#L88. However, no
hints are visible until I surround the JDBC call with a
SqlToRelConverter​​​​​​​ hook, just like in my first email.

I looked at Kudu's test suite and discovered that kudu also sets the hint
strategies "outside" of the JDBC call.
https://github.com/twilio/calcite-kudu/blob/84c13e80f7cff83f3acaf5be4fc312c977e18ee8/adapter/src/test/java/com/twilio/kudu/sql/ScenarioIT.java#L100
 (There is this comment: // TODO figure out a better way to set the
HintStrategyTable for sql queries)

I assume that the hints are lost during the sql2rel conversion because the hint
strategies are not yet set in the SqlToRelConverter config. I guess it all
boils down to the question: Can I initialize the SqlToRelConverter config with
hint strategies somewhere in my adapter before the sql2rel conversion starts?

Regards
Dennis