Dennis,

Looking at the code I think the SQL2REL_CONVERTER_CONFIG_BUILDER hook might
be the best way to add hints for use via sql.
Even though the documentation says hooks should be used for
debugging/testing I think practically they are needed to accomplish tasks
from adapters for eg the cassasandra adapter adds materialized views using
hooks
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/b9c2099ea92a575084b55a206efc5dd341c0df62/cassandra/src/main/java/org/apache/calcite/adapter/cassandra/CassandraSchema.java#L106
You could do something similar by calling the hook from your adapter.

-Thomas