The word [MINOR] is very coarse-grained to me, as Stamatis mentions
above, it may contains small improvements to javadoc, site, test,
error message, method/variable name, etc. And it is subjective to the
author/committer whether a PR should be minor.

Looking at the git history, I found it useful when a commit without
Jira id starts with "Site:", "Refactor:", "Code style:", "Lint".
Maybe we can add more useful prefixes for common small changes, such
as "Mailmap: ", "Javadoc: ", "Typo:". For others which are not very
common small changes, just a clear/concise commit message without any
prefix is good enough.

Anyway, we'd better reach an agreement when we can omit Jira id and
consider a PR is small.

Stamatis Zampetakis <zabe...@gmail.com> 于2024年1月3日周三 18:27写道:

> The presence of the "minor" keyword in the commit summary is a bit
> redundant. I would argue that if the message is precise enough the
> person reading it can infer it is minor or not.
>
> Moreover, the minor classification is subjective. Some people consider
> minor things that do not change code at all. Others consider minor
> things that don't touch production code. The addition of tests and
> fixing a broken build is also considered minor by few people. All
> these examples are taken from the current commits which landed in
> Calcite.
>
> For the reasons above, I feel that we don't really need to include
> "minor" in the commit summary but don't feel very strongly about it
> anyways.
>
> In the past we agreed that if a change is trivial/minor we don't need
> a JIRA id. Although, this is convenient for getting this committed
> faster without too much hassle it has some drawbacks.
>
> If at some point in the future we want to attach more information to a
> particular commit, this is not possible since we cannot modify the git
> history. When there is a JIRA we can always add new comments and
> clarifications there even if the ticket is resolved.
>
> Having a JIRA id is also a convenient way and readable way for
> referring to particular commits. The commit hash can be used to
> identify a commit in Apache main branch but if the same commit is
> backported to other forks/branches using the hash becomes more
> cumbersome. This is especially useful in downstream projects and forks
> for tracking that a specific change landed in various branches.
>
> Maybe in the future we should reconsider the optionality of the JIRA
> id in the commit summary. If this happens then [CALCITE-XXXXX][MINOR]
> would start getting overly long so this may be another argument
> against including "minor" in the message.
>
> Best,
> Stamatis
>
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 10:25 AM Ran Tao <chucheng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This format most likely comes from other open source projects.
> > If calcite has its own specifications, such as how to set the title for PRs
> > that do not require a jira name,
> > IMHO, it can be introduced in the contribution doc.
> > Commiters can also review PRs according to this specification.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Ran Tao
> >

> > Istvan Toth <st...@cloudera.com.invalid> 于2024年1月3日周三 16:11写道:
> >
> > > Perhaps the square bracket convention ?
> > > If the ticket starts with CALICITE-\d+ , then make sure that the JIRA
> > > ticket id is between brackets.
> > >
> > > Also check for Gerrit Change IDs which are often added automatically, and
> > > paint to remove.
> > >
> > > Istvan
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 10:50 PM Tanner Clary <tannercl...@google.com
> > > .invalid>

> > > some

> > > --
> > > *István Tóth* | Sr. Staff Software Engineer
> [...]

Benchao Li