On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Roman Kalukiewicz
<roman.kalukiew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't we talk about exchange properties here? My feeling here is
> that properties should be used as user-headers, while headers are
> always protocol headers. In fact it works this way right now: If I
> want to keep some value through the whole flow I put it into
> properties.
>
> By current convention if I put something on a header it is sent as
> protocol-specific header (JMS property, HTTP header), and out headers
> are filled also with protocol headers (JSM properties of out emssage,
> HTTP response headers). In this case headers shouldn't be propagated,
> as there is no way to distinguish things propagated, from things
> retrieved. And out headers ARE different than in headers.
>
> It is a matter of naming, but currently headers are (what you call)
> protocol/system headers, while properties are user-headers (work as
> variables). Do we really need to extend it further? If someone mix
> those two concepts then it is problem of documentation, but not lack
> of functionality. I would just extend DSL a little to be able to
> retrieve a property (instead using header()).
>
> What do you think, guys? Maybe we should clearly communicate what
> things are for and what are the consequences of using one or another.
>
> Roman
>
> PS. Pipeline should propagate all headers of course, but I believe an
> endpoint is a place where we shouldn't guarantee that headers will be
> propagated by stating it clearly.

Properties have just lived in the dark and end users does not really
know they exists. We have some builder methods to set/get properties.
I guess we need to document and maybe make sure the Spring DSL also
has support for accessing properties as well.

To my knowledge properties is always preserved so I doubt we have an
issue there.

So users should just start learn using properties as well :)
However then we have the ProducerTemplate that has one liners for
sending an Exchange. We dont have a sendBodyAndProperties method. But
yet again it has too many methods already. They can just use
send("xxx", Exchange) and have exchange populated with the properties
of choice.