On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:17 PM, William Tam wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't disagree, I was just suggesting that they should then travel as
properties.

Why shouldn't they (protocol headers) travel as headers (to avoids
unnecessary copying between exchange properties and protocol headers)?
There should be no unnecessary copying, I agree. If a header (such as username/password) has broadly known and accepted semantics, the endpoint or associated policy could set it as a property from start. Similarly, an endpoint should look at both properties and headers when sending a message.

Whatever we name them, and whatever mechanism we decide to use,
as pointed out before, we need to distinguish between headers that are endpoint/protocol specific and have no semantics outside the endpoint and headers (which we called properties and didn't use consistently) that must
be carried over the lifetime of the Exchange.

Custom protocol header fits into "no semantics outside the endpoint"
(or else it won't get propagated) and so it goes to the exchange
properties.   How does the next component (in the pipeline) know what
one of the properties are intended to be sent in protocol header?
Wouldn't it be better to let protocol headers travel as headers so
only the "header candidates" will be potentially be sent?

Not sure I understand your question, but I think we should use policies for handling custom headers.

Hadrian