On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Christian Müller
<christian.muel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My comments inline.
>
> Best,
> Christian
>

>> Installing the commons-dbcp in karaf would be as easy as just doing a
>> osgi:install right?
>>
> Yes.
>

>> I would prefer if Karaf / SMX had some sort of jdbc features you could
>> install and leverage out of the box. A bit similar to what you see in
>> JEE servers for setting up connection pools, and having management and
>> monitoring out of the box. AFAIR there is no such service. And thus
>> people have to rely on commons-dbcp or other connection pooling. But
>> then they have a bit hazzle to monitor and manage that at runtime.
>>
> Yeah, this would be an interesting feature (monitoring the pool size and so
> on at runtime...). But I think this needs a bit more work...
>

>> If Karaf / SMX had such a jdbc feature then I would be +1 for removing
>> it from the Camel features files. I wonder if any existing users rely
>> on the commons-dbcp and thus in case of an upgrade would hit any
>> trouble? I guess not everyone would read release notes / upgrade
>> guides etc. But just go for it, and then hit an issue with
>> commons-dbcp not present anymore.
>>
> This means you are -1 for removing it right now (because Karaf/SMX doesn't
> have this feature right now)?

I am 0.5+ okay for removing it from the Camel features file.
If Karaf had such a jdbc feature out of the box, then I would be +1.

Its just that many people just do a feature:install camel-jdbc /
camel-jms / camel-xxx
And then many of the things they need is installed out of the box.

I just wonder how widespread the usage of the commons-dbcp is out there?
And if anyone uses any alternatives? For example I dont recall I have
seen anyone use eg c3po in production.